First of all, Happy Mother’s day to all you Mom’s out there!! I hope you are all taking a little time to “treat-yo-self” to something nice! You deserve it!!
Secondly, Happy Birthday to me!!
In case you didn’t know, today is my Birthday! I have always been one who loves my birthday, and loves getting any and all attention it can possibly garner me (feel free to drop a comment! ha!) Obviously, my birthday has always been on or near mother’s day. And to be honest, it never has really bothered me. We always had family get-together’s and gave me a chance to hang out with all of my family! As long as I get two presents! Ha! No two- for -ones here!
This year, I’m turning 38. Not quite a landmark birthday, but kind of an ominous one, where that big one is looming, and all these things that I thought I’d do by 40 come crashing down. Obviously I could dwell on all the things I didn’t do, but that’s depressing, so I’m going to congratulate myself on all the things I HAVE done. No matter how big or small they are! If you can’t pat yourself on the back on your birthday, when can you?! We all can use a little more self-love I think!
So here are 38 amazing things I’ve done in my 38 years years on Earth:
- I learned to walk (as I am still waiting for O to take that first step, this is a BIG one!)
- I learned to tie my shoes (another big one!)
- When I was in 5th grade, I cut my hair like Dorothy Hamill.
- I graduated from high school (ahhh, the glory days, and how is it possible that was 20 years ago!! wtf!)
- I partied in legit cornfields. And yes, it’s everything you hear about in the songs.
- I graduated from college (really wish I would have take a little longer!)
- I crashed a wedding and had the most epic time with one of my besties. A memory I will never forget!
- I fake cried in 1st grade in order to get out of speaking in front of people!
- I became a yoga teacher, and conquered that fear of speaking (yelling) in front of people, only 30 years later!
- I’ve learned that no one cares what you look like in yoga class. That’s part of the process.
- I have helped raise money for one of the best foundations/causes out there; One that means the world to me and my family, the Jackson Chance Foundation ( feeling generous??? www.jacksonchance.org/donate)
- I went to Italy, and drank alllllll the wine!
- I have become a Rosé connoisseur…well…maybe more just a heavy drinker of Rosé…(have you checked out our reviews?)
- I drank champagne on the top of the Eiffel Tower
- I saw the Cubs win the World Series (something a lot of people could not say)!
- I was at game 6 of the NLCS at Wrigley field in 2016. One of the best days of my life.
- Of course it wasn’t as great as the day I married Chris! …but was a close second. Ha! (love you CT)
- I became a blogger. Okay, so this is a stretch, but it what do you call what I am doing right now??….Blogger city baby!
- I have written a blog about all the stuff I’ve done in my life, and got stuck on number three. It’s really hard coming up with your greatest hits on queue!
- I’ve become an aunt 6 times!
- I have lived in 11 different houses/apartments/condos…(moving is the worst).
- I’ve drank beer and made bets with Charles Barkley in a NYC bar. (It was during March Madness, Charles won, but he bought us all drinks)
- I’ve completed 2 marathons! One at 26 and one at 31. I was faster at 31!
- I became a fur mama! One of the best decisions!
- I’ve maintained some of my best friendships for well over 20 years! Something I am very proud of to this day!
- I once showed a fake ID to a cop, when underage, and talked to him about how our party would be quieter…and lived to tell the tale! (Sorry sis, it was a risky move…but I was a confident “Heather”…don’t tell Dad)
- I’ve climbed to the top of Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale. It may be small peanuts to others, but I was very proud of myself in that moment…I was REALLY scared most of the time!
- I’ve gotten a tattoo…I don’t regret it, but looking back, I would rethink the placement, and the meaning of said tattoo (a sun?), now 20 years later…I was so smart at 18!
- I swam with the sea turtles in Hawaii!
- I passed my drivers test! (this was a big one when I was 16! I also drove a sweet ’81 Buick Regal)
- I was a professional “tug-of-war” athlete in College…”Google EIU tugs”…If you have no idea what “tugs” is, you probably didn’t go to EIU….it’s one of my fondest college memories, even if I did get pulled into a disgusting pond…
- I’ve ridden a panther…(also google “things to do at EIU” and see #6) (also, get your head out of the gutter!)
- I’ve zip lined with the monkeys in Costa Rica! (while the staff was making live repairs to the stands and lines while we were there! yikes! we should have researched a little better)
- I’ve snorkeled and spotted a shark…a nurse shark…but still..I immediately swam back to the boat…respect the ocean people!!
- I cut my arm open on Catamaran in Tulum. The “staff” poured some iodine on it, and I swam in the salt water to “clean it out”….barely a scar!…(maybe not the smartest idea here…I blame Margaritas, but they obviously knew what they were doing)
- I created a human. (OK, Chris and some doctors helped, but still)
- I had contractions probably all day the day I gave birth, and just thought I had to poop (hey… 14 weeks early and you would think the same!)
- I survived 105 days in a NICU with our son. Actually, he survived, but I’m counting it anyways!
- Cheers to what’s to come!
So I realize that some of these are more just, “stupid stuff I’ve done”, but sometimes that’s what makes is amazing. Here’s to another trip around the sun!