My Wild Ride into Motherhood….Part Deux…

So, by now, most of you have figured out that we were able to get pregnant through IVF on the very first try. We were very lucky, and I’m still amazed that it worked on the very first time. The science behind IVF still amazes me, and I think about a career change every day. Could you imagine making a baby in a lab everyday?! Somehow I feel it could be a little more fulfilling than revenue forecasting and contracts!img_3741

I was so excited to be pregnant. I was. Seriously. But, UGH…did I hate it! I pretty, much had to give up all the things I loved. Wine, fancy cheese, Sushi, deli meat…wine! This was horrendous. During IVF I had to give up my workouts, so I was already really not feeling  like myself. Let alone, no one even can tell you are pregnant, so you still have to stand on the subway! Once I was confirmed pregnant and got the ok from my doctors I slowly returned back to my workouts and really listened to my body.  At least one thing was back on track.

During the first 11 weeks or so, I felt like CRAP. I didn’t get actively nauseous, but I felt hungover, almost EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.  And I didn’t even get the fun of going out the night before! I really felt like a fish out of water without my vino! I guess I really love wine (I mean, hence the blog, but going out with friends, and watching them tip back glass after glass, and have a great time, was just not that fun for me. I felt out of the loop, and on the sidelines. I just felt like an outsider. It was hard. Even just smelling wine made me happy. Maybe I have a problem?? But I think it just comes down to so much of my social time revolves around drinking, that I just didn’t know how to fit in anymore. Plus, I would get super tired and just rather be in bed!

Finally, I turned a corner around week 11-12. I at least felt normal again, and could eat more than carbohydrates! Seriously, I relied on bread based foods and anything pasta for the first 11 weeks. And I never used to eat pasta! Like maybe once every few months! Now we were having that, and pizza almost every night. My husband was enjoying the new me!

From here on out, everything was going great! I felt fine, I was learning to live without wine, and I was even starting to get a little bump. I was so excited to have a big belly! I had so many ideas of how I wanted to dress my bump! I was ready to take it all on! I seriously thought I should have a basketball sized tummy by like 12 weeks. When in reality I really didn’t start showing a legit belly into the 20’s. I would always try to emphasize it, and even started getting a few seats offered to me on my commute! I was living the dream. Now, I just had to wait until December 30…my due date. When you are pregnant in the summer, and your due date is in the thick of holiday season, it seems like an eternity! I couldn’t believe how long I had to go!

Finally summer started to wind down, but the weather was still going strong. It was now September, and we were in a hot streak of 90 some degree weather. Awesome. My husband was taking a trip up to MN (where he is from) for a college football game. I stayed home to be with the pup, and also had a good friend’s baby shower that weekend. My baby shower was to be the weekend after. Things were starting to happen, and that just meant we were getting a little closer to the end. I was now 26 weeks pregnant. My friend whose shower was that weekend was 4 weeks ahead of me. So I was looking to her a lot to see what I could expect next. It was nice to have someone that was going through the same stuff. We joked at her shower, that I would be calling her for all the advice on what we need, what we don’t, what to buy, what to take back. Her shower was beautiful, but I was so tired after. I went home, took the dog out, made myself a pizza and rented a movie Chris would never want to watch. I may or may not have eaten the whole pizza (no judgements, it was a small one from TJ’s). Sometimes alone time is great!

The next morning I woke up refreshed and ready to tackle the day. Usually I had been hitting up yoga again on Sundays, but had worked out the day before so decided to take the day off. I took Maui for a walk and then decided to do some grocery shopping. Aldi had been getting a lot of hot press lately, and I had vowed I was going to try it again. I mean, we needed to start saving money, so I grabbed my cart quarter, and bags, and headed out the door. When I started shopping at Aldi, I noticed that the baby was moving around a bit, and kept pushing me in weird spot. He was being fiesty for sure. But I continued on. I got my groceries and headed back home (Sorry Aldi, I just wasn’t impressed, maybe it’s just our location?).

I had a friend coming into town for my shower the next weekend so I needed to do some light cleaning. As I was cleaning, I noticed he was still pushing me in that same spot. Maybe I should just lay down for a bit? That will help. I should drink some water. Put my feet up. As I layed on the couch I felt it again. It was just kind of like a little wave of pressure and then it went away. Nothing I couldn’t handle. It will go away. Right?

Wrong. It kind of just lingered on like that the rest of the day. I went on doing whatever I was doing, and tried to ignore it. Victoria and I had been trying to get the dogs on the roof for a playdate for a while, so we finally got some time that afternoon on the roof. At this point the pressure was pretty steady, every 5-6 minutes or so, and getting a little more intense. I was SUPER distracted when we were talking. I kept trying to figure out a way to ask her if this had ever happened to her (she has two kiddos), but I didn’t know how to fit it in the conversation. She had a bag of maternity clothes for me, and after a little bit, we both retired back to our condos. I know now that everything I was describing above sounds EXACTLY like contractions, hindsight is 20/20. But I just didn’t want to believe it, so of course I did what anyone would do (or what I do), ignore it. Faceplant.

Finally, I decided it was time to call the doctor’s office. I wasn’t even sure I had their number! It was Sunday, so I was going to get the phone service, and then whoever the on-call doctor was. All I kept thinking was man, I don’t  want to ruin someone’s Sunday! Well, I finally find the number, and after about 15 minutes, the on-call doctor calls me back. I describe the pressure I’m feeling and she asked if I had to take a poop. Hmmmm…really? Um, I don’t think so, but um, yeah! that could be it! So she told me to take a tylenol and have a cup of coffee and see if nature could work it’s magic. If it didn’t get better, give a call back, and I can come on in.

So, I get off the phone, and of course have to pee again, so head to the bathroom, before I make my cup of Jo. What do I see? Blood. Bright red, like a period. Everything they tell you to panic about. So, panic I did. Ugh. I just got off the phone with the doctor.  Now I have to call back! It took another 15 or so minutes to get connected, and this time a different on-call doctor called me back. I told her what was going on, she knew I had already called once, so she said, just come on in to Triage, let’s get this figured out. Um…Triage? Where is that? At Prentice?  I was clueless. We were planning to deliver at Prentice (womens hospital in Chicago), and I had JUST registered, but we hadn’t had a tour yet, and wouldn’t for almost a month. “Yes, it’s in Prentice”, she said. So I hung up and did what anyone would do. I ordered an Uber.

I typed in Prentice as the destination because I really didn’t even know where it was. I mean… I knew the area it was in, but it is confusing down by Northwestern. Lots of one-way streets, and different medical buildings…I would just leave it up to Mr. Uber. Mind you the whole time, I am trying to call Chris, and text him, but it goes straight to VM, so I know he is in the air, on his flight home. Boy this is going to be a great voicemail to get when he lands. Hopefully, he listens to it!

My Uber is almost here, so I grab my bag, give Maui a kiss, and tell her mommy is going to be ok. I think she is a secretly a therapy dog. She kept putting her paws on me, as to calm me down, as I had my moment of hysteria. Dogs just know.

I decide to knock on Victoria’s door just to give her a heads up, in case Chris comes straight home. This way she can tell him to go to Prentice, blah blah blah. When I knock her husband Nick answers the door, baby in tow, feeding him. Their toddler is yelling in the background, and their dog is barking, which means Maui is barking. Shocked to see me- (since no one knocks on our doors really)…I try to cooly tell him what’s going on. “Um, I’m not feeling great, so I’m going to go the hospital, if you hear Chris come home, can you just let him know to go to Prentice”?? I was fighting back tears the whole time. I am even tearing up as I type this! His look was priceless. He very calmly just said, “ok, um, let me get Victoria”! So she comes running to the door, “what’s up”? I tell her what I told him and she firmly just said, “I’m coming with you”! Of course I was like, no, no, I’m fine, it will be ok. You don’t have to do that (all lies!). And she just said, “I know, I’m sure it’s nothing, but let me grab my purse because I’m coming with”. Ok. I was scared. Being alone is scarier. She offered to drive, but my Uber was already downstairs.

After a good amount of traffic we get to Prentice and head to the infamous Triage. I give them my info, and of course… wait. We wait maybe another 15 minutes as I worry about bleeding onto the chairs, and Victoria jokes, that they chairs are pretty much plastic, as they are obviously prepared for leaking patients! Oh yeah- this is the baby hospital!

Finally they call me back,  and the nurse comments, that I’m not the earliest due date today! Was that a joke? Anything to lighten the mood I guess. As I get in the room they ask a million questions about my history to get familiar. I’m pretty sure this is where Victoria and I became closer friends. Nothing like all the sudden hearing about your neighbors double uterus and IVF journey to get you acclimated. I get examined and they immediately find a heartbeat…Phew! He’s ok. They take a look under the hood, and I’ll never forget her words. “You’re not going to like what I have to say… but I see membranes”. Ok. What the HELLLLLLL does that mean??? I’m only 26 weeks. Give me a shot or whatever you do, and put those membranes back inside, right? Not exactly.

Further examination showed that I was 10 centimeters dilated. Eye bulging emoji. I knew what that meant. That was a lot. That was pretty much the max. And apparently there’s no going back once you get that far. This baby was coming very soon, and nothing was going to stop it.  Many people asked how I could be 10 cm dilated and not know it. I have no idea. Apparently I have a giant threshold for pain?? I never really labored at all.

Did I mention he was breech? Oh yeah- they’re going to have to do a C-section. My head started to spin, and so many people began to talk to me at once. I’m sure it wasn’t at once, but it sure felt like it. It was like they hit the code blue button at the hospital and I was surrounded by entire teams of people. One by one, they started to introduce themselves. Who they were, and what their role was. They put me on a gurnee, gave me a steroid shot, and started an IV. They were taking me to the 8th floor. Delivery. They were not joking around. Luckily in all of this Victoria got a hold of Chris once he landed, and told him to come straight to the hospital, ASAP!

When Chris finally gets to the hospital, he is carrying his little duffle bag from the plane, and just scratching  his head. “What is going on? I thought we were just going to order pizza tonight?!” Nope. We’re having our baby instead.

I know… this is a really long story! Stay tuned for the finalé coming soon…Spoiler alert if you follow us on social media ha!!!





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s